Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog! I am a paper crafter that loves to share new tips and techniques. Feel free to case (copy and share everything) any of my projects. I am honored when my work is duplicated. I only ask that you provide a link to my blog if you are uploading to the internet anywhere, giving credit where credit is due. . Please do not submit my projects for contests or magazine submissions. Content within this blog are shared for personal/non-commercial use and for inspiration only. From time to time some of the products used on my blog have been provided by the vendors mentioned in my posts. Let me reassure you , I will always be completely honest with you whether I truly believe a product is fabulous or not.

Followers

Monday, 13 June 2011

Stamp Cleaner Recipe

Hello Everybody!!

I have just the best share for you all today! If you only knew how much money I spent in the last few years on stamp cleaner alone. I share this recipe with everybody and it has only had rave reviews! The savings are substantial, which only leaves more money to spend on the fun stuff! I want to thank my good friend Katie for helping me with the pictures (her fingers are inky as she was making polished stone paper), as well as doing the math on the cost differentials!!! Read all the way to the bottom for the recipe.

We made a 4 Litre Jug or 16 cups.

Costs~

1 4 litre jug of distilled water $3.00
2 100 ml bottlesof Glycerin $10.00 (bonus... 40 ml left over)
16 teaspoons of rose water (optional) pennies
16 teaspoons of babywash under $1.00

To be generous, lets call it $15.00


Cost of the Stamp Cleaner I used to buy from a well known company .......

2 oz bottle

$5.50
Tax .27
S&H .57
------
Total $6.43

To get a 4 litre jug this way, you would have to buy 66.6 bottles and would cost you a whopping
..........................................................$428.23!




Their 8 0z bottle is a little easier on the pocket book

$11.95
Tax .59
S&H $1.25
Total $13.79

To get a 4 Litre jug this way you would have to buy 16 bottles and cost you still a whopping.......................$220.64

I was astounded at the savings!! This recipe smells very much like the same I used to buy through a catalog. It is gentle on your stamps and protects the rubber. That is what the glycerin is for. It is actually used for skin protection and can be bought at the drugstore. Rose water is completely optional, it's only purpose is to make it smell purdy!! Rose water is also found at the drugstore. If you buy the concentrate, be sure and dilute it as per the directions. You can make as little or as much Stamp Cleaner as you want. I make a big jug and store it away until I need a refill. Be Sure and use Distilled Water and not tap water or spring water, the reason for this is the water is demineralized and won't hurt your stamps.

The Recipe (All supplies found at the drugstore, just ask the pharmacist)

1 Cup of Distilled Water

1 Teaspoon of Baby wash

2 Tablespoons of Glycerin

1 Teaspoon of Rose Water ~optional (Smells wonderful, just like Grandma!)

Here are the ingredients...


Stir in glycerin.....




Stir in baby wash.....



Stir in Rose water.........





Pour into a spray bottle.....(good thing I hoard everything and saved all my empty bottles!)




Here I have covered up the label of the stamp company and filled it with my own fantabulous cleaner!! Once again if it doesn`t move it is endangered of being altered!hee heee!!



For the cover
I stamped Belle Toile in White craft ink on black paper.....heat set....colored with colored pencils and highlighted with a white gel pen. ( This technique is called Black Magic) The butterfly is from spellbinders die Fanciful Flight, which was sponged with Rangers-Tattered Rose and Spun Sugar Distress inks. To finish it off I tied some pink taffeta ribbon around the neck and added some rhinestones.


I really hope all this makes sense! I really should do my blogging in the daytime and not in the middle of the night!!

Good Night All!!
Have a Fabulous Day!!

Over & Out
El

37 comments:

  1. This is terrific. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I am going to buy the stuff today and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - thank you so much for sharing. I'm definitely going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought a big bottle of the expensive stuff! Thank you for letting us know about this so I won't have to buy it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow I think this is Great Thank you for sharing this!

    Jackie Meyers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had a similar recipe for years, minus the rose water and have saved a fortune in buying the well-known brand from the well-known company! Thanks for sharing, Ellen! Are you excited about tomorrow? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now aren't you a clever girl! Thanks for the recipe. I know pharmacies across the globe will be wondering why they are getting orders for rose water and glycerin by the droves all of the sudden. And what a lovely gift this would make for a fellow stamper. You rock, girl!

    PS - Do you think we could just put a few drops of hand sanitizer in the mix to make it bacteria free? Just a thought. Not a chemist, mind you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most hand sanitizer has alcohol in it, and I'm betting that's too drying for the stamps...just a guess.

      Delete
  8. Does it work for water based inks or solvent?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharng your recipe!!! I'm anxious to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to try this, Ellen!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw somewhere that some ladies couldn't find glycerin. It's something I use in my cake decorating colors, since they are not water-based. If anyone needs some, they can find small 2-oz. bottles of Wilton glycerin in the cake decorating aisle at Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Joann's. FYI! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so very much for working everything out and sharing the recipe for this! How awesome are you!? It is amazing how much we spend without extrapolating beyond the one time price, when we buy something repeatedly...not a mistake I will be making anytime soon! Thanks for the heads up on that too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How about crediting where you got this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 2007 I put on a card class and a very sweet lady named Dorothy Martin attended. I was very grateful when she shared the recipe with me. It has saved me and many others a lot of money over the years. She is in her 70's and doesn't remember who gave her the recipe. So I apologize that I do not know who is the original inventor of the recipe. Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. love this idea so a pharmacy actually had the rose water

      Delete
  14. I knew it! I knew it! I knew there had to be a simple and inexpensive way to make that stuff. Of course they don't put the ingredients on the bottle cause they know they'll lose money by it. Thanks so much for saving me and my friends the money!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a recipe for the cleaner but it did not have the rose water... I'll have to get some! Thanks so much!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I was little and the winter tore up my hands my Nana put rosewater & glycerin on them with white cotton gloves. By the time I woke up my hands were healed better than ever... Can't find the same mix however. It was thicker than what you can find now.
    Thanks for this info. Much appreciated. My stamps and my hands will do well...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made this and though it worked great removing the standard ink it did not remove my stazon inks or any of my archival inks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not expect it to

      Delete
    2. Stazon ink requires Stazon Ink remover.

      Delete
    3. Simple Green Cleaner found in most grocerys stores or Menards cleans stazon ink off stamps. Originally formulate for rubber tires so it's safe on rubber.

      Delete
    4. thanks Susan, I have been looking for a DIY cleaner for stazon ink. :)

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is something I definitely need to make! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is something I definitely need to make! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for sharing. Every penny saved is earned for a new STAMP SET! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW... Gotta try this! I love the idea that we have an option to home-made supplies! THANK YOU for the recipe :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for this recipe. I just watched a video where a crafty person used stamp cleaning spray to clean her Cricuit mat. I use a Silhouette but tried it out. I was amazed at how well it cleaned the gunk off of the mat yet left the sticky on. My only problem was the cost of the stamp cleaner. Problem solved thanks to you!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've always used a non-ammonia glass cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Would you be able to a couple drops of essential oil to add fragrance?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks, a great recipe I have all the ingredients and had previously bought from Stampin Up but they dont sell in Cyprus so this will be perfect to spray on the scrub mat

    ReplyDelete
  28. Many thanks for this recipe. You can see from how many have used it over several years that it has helped many,many starters.
    Love how a 70year old gave it to so can only guess at how many more have been getting good use from the same tip passed on.
    Are'nt crafter great sharers?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great idea

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I read and appreciate each one - you make my day!