Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog! I am a paper crafter that loves to share new tips and techniques. Feel free to case (copy and share everything) any of my projects. I am honored when my work is duplicated. I only ask that you provide a link to my blog if you are uploading to the internet anywhere, giving credit where credit is due. . Please do not submit my projects for contests or magazine submissions. Content within this blog are shared for personal/non-commercial use and for inspiration only. From time to time some of the products used on my blog have been provided by the vendors mentioned in my posts. Let me reassure you , I will always be completely honest with you whether I truly believe a product is fabulous or not.

Followers

Sunday, 21 October 2012

How to do a Night Time Inspired Distress Ink Background



Hello Blogland Friends!

I am finally getting motivated to get going on my Christmas cards. 

I wanted a background to showcase this gorgeous snowflake die cut. I was sitting on my deck a couple of nights ago looking at the sky, wondering how I could recreate it. This is how I did the background.......

1~ Sponge Rangers Faded Jeans Distress inks on white card stock and spritzing it with water. Heat set it with my embossing gun.

2~ Then I rubbed the ink pad directly on my craft sheet and misted water onto the ink.  I layed the card stock onto the misted ink on the craft sheet and heat set it.

The nice thing about this way of doing your background is if you don't like the way it looks you can repeat steps one and two until you are happy with it.

I die cut Impression Obsession's Snowflake Die-DIE024 with Silver Mirror Paper.  When I use intricate die cuts I always put a piece of wax paper in between the die and the card stock.  This makes it easier to remove the card stock.


 
I adhered the snowflake with a mini glue pen and added some bling. I see I missed one. 



 I embossed Impression Obsession's Merry Christmas-B4609 with Silver Embossing powder and added some bling to the holly.  I popped it up with pop dots over a Cuttlebug Snowflake Embossing folder. I don't know what the name of it is, my sweet friend Judy aka jadekay ran a bunch off for me on one of our visits. The metal and bling ribbon I bought at Joanne's in Seattle.



I am entering this in the following challenges.......

Cards Galore- Anything Goes
Charisma Cardz-Clean and Simple
Crafty Sentiments-Bows or Ribbons

Thanks for stopping by and have a fabulous day!

Ellen

22 comments:

  1. A wonderful technique for your night sky and the snowflake is AWESOME. What a beauty!! That's a super tip about the wax paper. I have a lot of intricate dies and know they can use a little help.
    Hope you have a super duper week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Снежинка просто бесподобная, да еще на ночном небе!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just stunning! The Distress ink technique is perfect for a night sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the mirrored snowflake, that is so cool against the dark blue background and it does look like night. Thanks for the tutorial and tips. LOVE the blingy ribbon and now I must hunt this down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'll be darned. I have some Memory box dies that are very difficult to remove so I'm just gonna have to try that old waxpaper tip of yours. I just saw this on sCs and thought it was gorgeous. But, I aks you, when have I not seen something gorgeous come from your studio. I figured this much out: you like to take time to plan your design whereas, i just slap some stuff together and call it a day. Therein lies the differences between your cards and mine. Hugs and lots of love. Over and out, El dahling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous love the effect it gives of a night sky. Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous card Ellen beautiful made it's so elegant.

    greetings karin

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is stunning Ellen, I love the snowflake and the way you have created the sky looks amazing - thank you for the instructions.

    hugs Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh? dear Ellen! You like a Snow Queen from Wonderland)
    Wonderful postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful christmas card Ellen, wonderful background and the snowflake is gorgeous! Thanks for the tip about the wax paper.
    Hugs, Berlinde

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous card Ellen ! Very elegant. Great background, it does set off your gorgeous snowflake. Have a fab day my crafty friend :) Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous! Love it! Great job. Olena

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning creation Ellen. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the way you used the gems inside the holes of the snowflake! Beautiful card.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi dearest friend, what a fabulous card:)
    I like the embossed paper, the Wonderful sky and the gorgeous snowflake:))
    Lovely embossed sentiment too:)
    I hope you are little well...
    Big hug,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful card! Love the mini-lesson on distressed night sky - I will certainly have to try that out. LOVE that glimmery snowflake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowsers, El! Great technique and does it look fabulous in contrast to that beautiful snowflake and silver embossing. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so elegant and beautiful! Love the blue and the silver together and the background is awesome

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is really gorgeous, Ellen! Thanks for the tutorials and the tip about cutting with those intricate dies.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Ellen, this is gorgeous. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous card! Thank you for entering the Cards Galore Challenge...good luck! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Эллен, снежинка, как звезда на ночном небе, вся светится и сверкает стразами! Очень элегантная открытка!
    Спасибо за показ использования вощеной бумаги.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I read and appreciate each one - you make my day!