Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog! I am a paper crafter that loves to share new tips and techniques. Feel free to case (copy and share everything) any of my projects. I am honored when my work is duplicated. I only ask that you provide a link to my blog if you are uploading to the internet anywhere, giving credit where credit is due. . Please do not submit my projects for contests or magazine submissions. Content within this blog are shared for personal/non-commercial use and for inspiration only. From time to time some of the products used on my blog have been provided by the vendors mentioned in my posts. Let me reassure you , I will always be completely honest with you whether I truly believe a product is fabulous or not.

Followers

Friday, 22 March 2013

A Crown, A Wand, A How To And A Recipe



Hello Blogland Friends!

I have been away from paper crafting and blogging to give all my attention to another important part of my life that brings me great joy.... Musical Theatre with very talented kids from grades 4, 5 6 and 7.  We wrapped up this years production of The Wizard of Oz on Wednesday after 11 sold out performances.  Every year the kids study very hard for 3 months and run the whole show themselves from acting, make up, sound, lighting and stage management with super vision of course.  These talented kids received rave reviews from the community, to quote the Lacombe Globe, our local newspaper " tickets flew away faster than a house in Kansas" and "spectators should be prepared for superb songs and amazing acting and a boatload of laughs".  These 54 young actors and 34 backstage kids really delivered. Each year I am more wowed than the year before!!

Every year I seem to incorporate things from my craft room into  musical theatre.  I thought I would share Glinda The Good Witch's crown and wand with you. I am sure every little princess would want one of these for a Halloween costume, birthday parties or even just dress up play.

The crown was cut from plastic and covered with a shimmery white thin material.  It was prettied up with various Rhinestone and Pearl Flourishes, as well as single stones and pearls from different companies such as Spellbinders, ZVA Creations, and Bling It Forward as well as some small round mirrors from the dollar store.  The roses and  the largest Spellbinder Heart were colored with Copic Marker R85. 

The wand was cut from chipboard using the Sizzix 5 Point Star Die.  I assembled 2 stars and adhered it together with hot glue over a 3 foot dowel.  It was spray painted with Silver Metallic paint and blinged up.  Our little Glinda's props sparkled almost as much as her stellar performance!


We needed a quick commercial this year so the main characters could get their make up off and change back into Kansas costumes.  To keep the audience entertained one of our fabulous vocal coaches Nicole Evernden wrote a commercial for the kids about Witch Lotion to keep that green glow.  

I went to the dollar store and bought a bottle of body wash.  The bottle had lots of writing printed on it. I tried nail polish remover to get it off to no avail.. then the light bulb went off and I pulled out my  Ranger's Inkssentials Solvent Stamp Cleaner and it all came off with ease!!  I was amazed at how quickly this all was removed!!!!



I removed the body wash from the bottle, washed it out and it was ready to decorate. 

I stamped Hampton Arts Graphic 45's wicked witch from the Magic of Oz Set with Tsukineko Stazon Ink onto clear contact  paper and adhered it to the bottle.  I added a brand name using Anna Griffith letters and finished it off with some black hemp twine. 

I was making some GAK for my niece to play with and decided to make a little extra to fill the bottle with. This is a fun recipe to make for the kids and it will give you hours of free time to get some things done around the house while they play!!

Some of the kids MT asked for the recipe for GAK so here it is.........

GAK

8 oz Elmers White Glue

1 Teaspoon of Borax
Water
Food Coloring


~Put 8oz's of  Glue into bowl. Add food coloring (I used 20 drops) and set aside.

~Mix I teaspoon of Borax  into 1/2 of a cup of warm water until completely dissolved.

~Add Borax Water to Glue.

~Mix with hands until gooey consistency.

~Have Fun!!


I will be back tomorrow with some Musical Theatre Thank you cards as well as another pictorial tribute to the second cast. Then I will be back to paper crafting and blogging regularly again.  

Here is a pictorial tribute of these extremely talented kids from the first cast, performing The Wizard of Oz.....




























Thanks so much for stopping by and have a fabulous day!!
Ellen

11 comments:

  1. Phenomenal Ellen! Great job. Those kids are awesome ... as are the props!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this is awesome...great job on that wand and crown. I'm sure you've worked very hard and I just know those kids love you to pieces. What fun they must have!
    Thanks for the recipe. I should pass it on to my 2's dil for their little ones. Thanks for sharing all the photos with us.
    Have a fab weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Ellen, what a wonderful post! The crown & wand are beautiful as well as all the photos & costumes. The lead of Dorothy looks fantastic along with all the others. You must be so proud! Great to 'see' you back here :) Have a fabulous weekend, enjoy the snow.......arghhhhhhhhh, can't wait for Spring! Cheers, Shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Эллен, ты должна гордится такой красотой! Потрясающая корона и жезл, которые ты сделала!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my dearest beautiful friend^_^
    What a gorgeous creations for this wonderful theatre work^_^
    Fantastic photos,these children are stunning^_^
    Have an happy weekend my sweetheart^_^
    Huge hugs and love,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what an incredible looking production! The costumes are so professional and I LOVE your additions! Happy weekend from the enchanted oven.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. BRAVO! Outstanding! Marvelous! Dahling, I know it must be fabulous to have been involved in another smash hit. Yes, you've don't it again and will do it again and again. So much more to look forward to! I loved the reviews and I loved your costume creations! Your beautiful crown and wand were worthy of their own separate review. The costumes looked great on such talented actors and actresses. I bet it's going to take some time to settle back into the real world for you, my friend. Job well done my friend. Over and out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow Ellen, the costumes are awesome, they are beautiful made.
    the pictures are fantastic it looks they had a lott of fun.

    greetings karin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you made this crown, this all looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG...it looks like you put your whole heart and soul into this production....WOW!!! The costumes are all beautiful and what a gorgeous crown....the kids are lucky to have your help and all your talents!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ellen what a fantastic production,it could have been on Broadway if I did not know it was your production. The costumes and crown ,star etc., ,are a work of Art.
    Well done to all.
    Smiles
    Ita from Ireland

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I read and appreciate each one - you make my day!