Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog! I am a paper crafter that loves to share new tips and techniques. Feel free to case (copy and share everything) any of my projects. I am honored when my work is duplicated. I only ask that you provide a link to my blog if you are uploading to the internet anywhere, giving credit where credit is due. . Please do not submit my projects for contests or magazine submissions. Content within this blog are shared for personal/non-commercial use and for inspiration only. From time to time some of the products used on my blog have been provided by the vendors mentioned in my posts. Let me reassure you , I will always be completely honest with you whether I truly believe a product is fabulous or not.

Followers

Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Up In The Air With Mojo & Pottery


Hello Friends!

A few weeks back a couple of my pals and I went to The Hot Pot Studio in Red Deer to try our hand at pottery, a new to me craft.  

We had a great experience there and Laura, the young lady that works there was extremely helpful!!  I am sure I was the biggest pain in the butt, asking a gazillion questions and she patiently and knowledgeably answered all of my questions.  

I learnt that adhesive burns off in the firing process.  That's when I knew I would be able to incorporate supplies from my craft room.  I had to go back and try it again but before I went, I die cut  Impression Obsession Butterfly DIE008-I and Butterfly Set DIE046-A with only clear contact paper.  I used them as a mask before painting the plate with ceramic paint. 

This is what I did.......
~I adhered the clear contact butterfly die cuts to the plate and painted it with the blue glaze with several coats.  

~Let it dry in between coats, which only takes a few minutes. 

~Sanded it it down in a few spots to give it a different shade of blue. 

~Using my piercing tool I pulled off the clear contact paper. Any glue residue will burn off in the process of firing it in the kiln.

~I love The Hot Pot Studio !
  Once you have painted your piece, you leave it there and they dip it in the clear ceramic glaze and fire it. Just pick it up 6 days later. Easy Peasy!!

This is another thing I learnt while I was there.....pencil markings will also burn off in the firing process.  So if you are like me and have zero drawing talents you can trace your die cuts on the pottery instead of using clear contact paper as a mask and paint them with ceramic paint or glaze after tracing. 
 
~  This plate is now dishwasher and microwave safe.  My photography skill are once again lacking.... the color is actually almost navy blue and I have some glare from my kitchen light in the photo.  I will be trying this again!!  Oh the possibilities!!!




I should have used the same butterfly die for the card, oh well. I am happy with the look of the Fancy Butterfly DIE059-N  on the card front.

Here is a peek at the inside......

.

  I made this for Impression Obsession's Up in the Air Challenge and the layout is Mojo Monday sketch 294.



Thanks for stopping by and have a most fabulous day!!
Ellen

Supplies~
Accessories~IO Dies-Butterfly DIE008-I, Butterfly Set DIE046-A, Fancy Butterfly DIE059-N, Border Duo 1 Set, Cuttlebug Folders, Mark Richards Crystal Stickers, Pop Dots, Spellbinders Curved Rectangles, Seam Binding.
Paper~ Stardream, White, Clear Contact Paper

25 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen, thanks for your comment on my blog! Yes, this butterfly die is a winner! And your card is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Great idea and a beautiful plate, how cool is that! Your card looks fantastic with it. I love how the butterfly stands out and your trims and embellies and embossing...yep, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful card and plate. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ~Shawnie B.
    Shawnie@CardsByShawnie.com
    www.CardsByShawnie.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! These are stunning Ellen. I LOVE that butterfly die.
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, now I am drooling. I could not believe my eyes when I saw your photo. What a beautiful plate and card. Ellen, you are so darn creative. Those are gorgeous and what keepers too! Thanks for playing and good luck in the drawing too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Ellen...that plate is amazing! And your card...simply wonderful...love the dies you've used girl! What a wonderful touch to put more die cut butterflies on the inside of the card! Gorgeous with a capital "G"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat... a plate and a card ! Hope we see more ceramic creations, maybe involving IO stamps, in the future. The card is beautiful and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ellen Wow, this is fantastic,I am trying to do some models with paper clay,but is up in the air
    Smiles
    Ita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow ! That is amazing! That plate is really gorgeous and I bet it's even better IRL. Your card is super as well, so very classy !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you did an awesome job with this challenge and the sketch. Love your 3-D effect. I think you have great photography skills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just look at you...taking on a new craft. Your plate is so pretty and so is the card. I love your butterflies.
    Hope you're having a great week! Hugs~~~

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi ellen, thanks for popping by to comment. what a beautiful plate and card! always fun to find new uses for stamps and dies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! So creative and pretty. Love the plate and you've found another craft now! GREAT!
    Love your card too - so beautiful! Lovin' those butterflies!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your plate is fabulous Ellen and it sounds like you really enjoyed making it. You card is really pretty, I love the delicate butterfly.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so creative Ellen! The plate is gorgeous and the card is also beautiful and compliments it perfectly. I hope you are doing well! Thanks for stopping by today :) Hugs, Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the absolute coolest project! Love that you always provide a step-by-step tutorial for your fabulous creations. Gorgeous plate and butterfly card. Yeah you! Both are winners in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow-what a neat card and the pottery is just excellent too! Well done!!!
    PH

    ReplyDelete
  18. Check you OUT, Ellen! A card artist and now a potter, too!! Well done incorporating your stamping supplies on your pretty plate and your card is breathtaking!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful card. I love that butterfly (I need to get that die!) and love the gems too. Thanks for sharing.

    Katie B.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how fun Ellen! love the plate you created and the fun ways you are discovering in designing on them! Your card coordinates so well with it - wonderful embossings, bling and scallop edge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just gorgeous card my dearest friend:)
    Beautiful embellishments:))
    Happy Saturday and big big big hug,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your plate and card are both beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a gorgeous finished plate, Ellen...sounds like you had a great time at the studio!!! Your card is beautiful, too, especially with the butterfly and pretty trim at the bottom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your completed plate looks impressive. Love that butterfly die on your card too. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What fun discoveries in another journey of creativity. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure in the world of pottery. I think you did an amazing job. This may be something I will put on my crafty bucket list for the near future. Love the way you coordinated your card with the colors and the lovely embellishments.
    http://OhMyScraps2U.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I read and appreciate each one - you make my day!